Real estate the fastest growing sector in the UK , says LSEG report
London Stock Exchange Group has released its annual 1000 Companies to Inspire Britain report which identifies fastest-growing and most dynamic SMEs across the UK.
The report in numbers:
- Companies growing at an exceptional average rate of 70% a year, higher than the average of 50% last year
- Fast-growing companies appear across all UK regions, with over half of the companies from outside of the South East
- 35% of companies in the report come from the Northern Powerhouse and Midlands Engine regions
- Scottish companies continue to be the fastest growing with 91% annual average revenue growth
- Composition of companies demonstrates high growth in both traditional industries and more recent economic success stories; highest number of companies in Engineering and Construction sector with 134, followed by Financial Services with 82
- Real Estate is the fastest growing sector with an average annual revenue growth rate of more than 100%, closely followed by Engineering and Construction at 91%
- Companies operating in Engineering and Construction, Financial Services and Marketing and Advertising all growing at an average of more than 90% per year
- Number of retailers featured in the report up by 13%, indicative of resilient consumer spending. Companies include Monica Vinader, Oliver Bonas and Loaf.
- UK’s reputation as a centre for high tech industry underlined by a 20% increase in the number of SMEs drawn from the IT industry
The Rt Hon Greg Clark, Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy:
“I want to congratulate the 1000 companies from across the UK featured in London Stock Exchange Group’s pioneering 1000 Companies to Inspire Britain report. Championing high growth innovative SMEs is crucial for the continued success of the UK economy and a country that works for everyone. We are committed to ensuring that companies of all sizes can access finance to grow, scale-up and create high quality well-paid jobs across the country.”
Xavier Rolet, CEO, London Stock Exchange Group:
“Four years on, LSEG’s ‘1000 Companies to Inspire Britain’ report continues to highlight the dynamic, entrepreneurial and ambitious businesses across the country that are boosting UK productivity, driving economic growth and creating jobs. The strength and diversity of these companies is readily apparent with a broad mix of UK regions and sectors represented. These companies are the very heart of an ‘anti-fragile’ economy: more robust; more flexible and less prone to boom and bust. We must ensure we continue doing all we can to support high growth potential businesses like these.
“London Stock Exchange Group is fully committed to supporting and implementing initiatives which improve access to and cut the cost of finance for growing companies. We welcome the Government’s focus on supporting SMEs as part of its Industrial Strategy and await the outcome of its review into long-term patient capital.”
Stephen Welton, CEO, BGF:
“In a relatively short time London Stock Exchange Group’s 1000 Companies has gained real prominence among UK businesses. It is my belief that its stature as one of country’s most important and influential research projects will continue to grow.
“We shouldn’t hold back from encouraging and recognising the successes of smaller- and mid-sized companies that collectively are the lifeblood our economy. This campaign celebrates these successes, which is why BGF is passionate about providing our support for a third year.”
Jim Durkin, CEO, Cenkos Securities:
“We are delighted to be sponsoring LSEG’s ‘1000 Companies to Inspire Britain’ report again this year. We are excited and encouraged by the diversity and potential of the companies highlighted. They are a testament to the culture of entrepreneurship and investment we have in the UK and create optimism for the future.
“Cenkos is committed to supporting SME’s by providing access to capital and complete corporate finance solutions. We have raised in excess of £16bn for our clients since inception and are proud to have contributed to the success of some of the companies in the report.”
Amanda Murphy, UK Head of Corporate Banking, HSBC:
“The companies featured in LSEG’s ‘1000 Companies to Inspire Britain’ are testament to the ambitions and success of UK business. At HSBC we believe that if you provide the right knowledge, support and funding our UK companies can grow and develop locally, nationally and globally. We would like to say huge congratulations to those listed – it is an achievement to be proud of.”
LSEG’s ‘1000 Companies to Inspire Britain’ report series continues to receive cross-party support from leading politicians including The Rt Hon Theresa May MP, The Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, The First Minister of Scotland, The Rt Hon Nicola Sturgeon MSP, and Rebecca Long Bailey MP, Shadow Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, all of whom contributed to the report.
The report is supported by Business Growth Fund, Cenkos Securities plc and HSBC. DueDil is LSEG’s research partner for the report.